Training and Seawheeze Recap August 7-13

I am a little late to post my training recap this week, oops. I have just been having a little too much fun, I guess. Half of this week was in Vancouver for Seawheeze (the most fun half-marathon ever!), and between the pre-sea-post wheeze it was 5 days of fun!

Monday: OFF. NTC Ab Burner 2.0

Tuesday: Last little workout before The Seawheeze, 20' easy, 5'@HM, 3×90'@10km, 15' easy. There was a brief moment in this workout where I was moving so fast it freaked me out, it felt like I had tunnel vision and was only focused on moving forward as fast as possible, it didn't last long, but it was pretty cool. I did NTC Core Strength.

Wednesday: 45' easy, did a simple, relaxed out and back on Lochside trail, and then NTC Core strength.

Thursday: The Pre-Wheeze begins! My running buddy, Lisa and I took the first ferry over to Vancouver. We went to the Van Run Co. x Lululemon Pre-Wheeze event which began with a beer in the shop and then a 5km run, yoga (which we opted out of in favour of tacos) and then an after-party at Turf. We also found The Test Truck and got to try it out. I got back to my hotel pretty late and tried to sleep for a few hours before my early wake-up call for The Seawheeze Showcase store.

Friday: My alarm goes off at 4am, but I have been awake for what feels like hours. The hotel room is too hot and I probably had a coffee too late in the day on Thursday. I dress quickly, grab my inflatable lounger and head out the door, into the dark. Lisa and I arrive at the Vancouver Convention Centre eager to see how long the line is, to our surprise it ends near Steve Nash Fitness, not bad, especially because many people have blow up mattresses and beds and have been camping out for hours or days. We situated ourselves in the lounger and try to determine if any Starbucks are open. They aren't and we have 90 minutes to wait. We watch the sunrise and wait. Before long the line starts to move, our position quickly improves as mattresses are gear are deflated, we are now outside subway around the corner from where we started. Lisa heads to Starbucks 15 minutes before open to be one of the first in that line, she returns with coffee and bagels 🙂 We eat and take pictures of the creepy red sun, hoping the smoke will dissipate before the race. Shortly after that we make it inside the convention centre in what seems like record time, we talk strategy with a lady behind us and Lisa suggests the reflective pants will be the hot item. She was right, there are no reflective items to be found when we enter and later find the pants on Ebay for over $1,000. We cruise around looking at the limited edition items, spend time searching for specific leggings and successfully procure some, and head out – only to join another line for package pick-up.

The race swag this year was the typical water bottle, Nuun, and a Lululemon bag. We went outside to look around and get some sparkly tattoos. We don't stay long because we are absolutely starving and walk over to Gastown for breakfast at The Birds and the Beets. We stop in The Lab, which is full of other Seawheezers then head back. We make plans to meet for dinner at Cactus Club, so we can eat before yoga. I relax in my hotel for a while watching mindless TV before dinner, I feel very tired and my legs are heavy, I am not sure tomorrow is the day for a PB. I walk down to the convention centre to meet everyone and have a pre-yoga veggie burger. The yoga class was fantastic, the teacher describes it as spa yoga and she is right. It was a great way to stretch out and prepare for the next days' race. I walk home and go to bed immediately setting my alarm for 5am.

Saturday: I awake at 4am an hour before my alarm, I try to sleep for another hour and then start getting ready. I eat granola and almond mylk and drink Nuun. I decided to skip the coffee and stay hydrated. Soon it is time to start my warm-up, 10 minutes easy towards the start-line. The streets are full of Seawheezers and the energy picks up the closer we get to the convention centre. I drop my bag at bag check then find Taylor who is excited for her first Seawheeze, we snap a photo then head towards the corrals. I make my way to the front, not wanting to get stuck in the crowds and before long it is time to go. As soon as we start, my legs are already heavy, I think if I can settle in they might be okay. Once we hit 2km and pass Chinatown, I am feeling terrible, my skin feels like it's on fire and I am sure I am going way slower than my target pace. The other thing is, my GPS never got a signal and I am not sure of my pace. Once we get to the casino, a nice breeze kicks in and I feel a bit better, but I know better than to race and force it. I decide it is a better choice to enjoy the event and focus on form and being present. My cardio effort doesn't feel hard throughout the entire race, it's just my legs that are heavy and tired. The km tick by, I know this route well. With the finish line in sight in narrow in on it and give it all I've got for the final few hundred metres, passing my moving target as she goes over the first timing mat. This is something I often do at finishes, pick someone and decide to surpass them no matter what. Once I cross the line I see a finish line proposal, receive my medal, water and towel and walk up to receive the rest of the goodies. I eat some tasty banana bread, briefly see Taylor and Lisa, hand off my stuff and head back out for another 45', my target mileage is 30km, so I need to continue.

Sunday: OFF. Very needed, my legs had not been this tired and sore in 3 months! Welcome back, marathon training.

Total Weekly Mileage: 51km

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s